By Christmas it will be just over 12 months since I was greatly honoured by being elected President of the WA Sporting Car Club. Although I have been a member of the Club for many years I remain on a learning curve as to how the Club and the business of motorsport functions.
What has become very clear to me is that it would not be as successful as it is without the dedication of the volunteers and officials who administer our large number of events, big and small. We are a large organisation. As valuable is the input of all our members. I am sure our founders would have been proud of the way in which the Club has flourished over the past nine decades. Reflecting on the past 12 months highlights, for me, the following:
- A successful competition year. Racing is, of course, our core business and the ultimate collaboration between drivers, officials, volunteers and staff. Thanks to all who contributed to a successful season.
- Reinvigoration of esprit de corps and the stabilisation of the Club following the prior difficulties and rancour. I truly believe these are behind us and we can concentrate on a bright strategic future.
- The development of the strong relationship between the Club and our landlord (and sponsor), the City of Wanneroo.
- Meaningful collaboration between the key stakeholders to further enhance safety measures at the raceway for motorcycle activities. I am confident that the measures taken will result in a return of track/training activities soon and make Barbagallo raceway one of the safest circuits in the country.
- Member engagement at the AGM held on 5 December. I was gratified to receive, despite some of the challenging messages delivered, many well wishes and indications of support from members gathered.
I believe 2017 will be a great year for the Club and it would be excellent if each one of us could bring a new member into our unique Club to increase its capacity so that we can further develop and support our sport.
Finally, may I take this opportunity to wish you and your loved ones the Season’s Greetings and a Happy and Prosperous New Year.